Call for Papers
Sponsorship & Exhibitions
Call for Papers
The AMEU Executive Council is pleased to inform you that the 68th AMEU Convention 2022 will be hosted by eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality from Sunday, 2 October 2022 to Wednesday, 5 October 2022 at the Durban International Convention Centre (Inkosi Albert Luthuli ICC Complex).
The Council invites all parties who may be interested in presenting papers or case studies at the convention to submit a paper abstract of no more than 200 words to the AMEU Secretariat.
The core THEME of the convention is:
A JUST ENERGY TRANSITION (“JET”) FOR SOUTH AFRICA
A Just Energy Transition (“JET”) is a shift from our current energy system to one that is better in terms of sustainability, environmental impact, climate change, human health, economics, employment, and social equity. A Just Energy Transition (“JET") aims to make the process of shifting to a better energy system as fair and ‘just’ as possible. [Source: “A Just Energy Transition for SA”: Project 90 by 2030]
with the following SUB-THEMES:
- The journey to a transformative JET for SA
- The impact of the COVID pandemic on a JET for SA
- Business models for accelerated renewable energy deployment
- Ownership models – what are some of the innovative alternative ownership models emerging in SA or other developing nations that can/may open up economic and social opportunity
- Behind the meter solutions to achieve energy security and decarbonisation
- Repurposing of fossil fuel generation assets e.g older power stations
- Mobility/electric vehicles role in JET
- The electrification of transportation for accelerated transition of mobility
- The role of energy storage and hydrogen to accelerate decarbonisation
- Renewable energy procurement models and funding arrangements
- Planning for accelerated implementation of renewable energy
- Skills development and transition for the integration of renewable energy in RSA municipalities
- Re-skilling and the creation of decent jobs:
- Energy Security and reliability
- Democratisation – the need for increased participation in and access to energy and the energy market
- Decentralisation – the need for a coordinated and managed process of localised ownership of increasingly flexible energy systems
- Modernisation of the energy system and new technologies
- The role of municipalities in JET.
- Financing the JET in municipalities.
- Poverty alleviation and JET.
- Supporting JET through grid modernisation
- Utility reform for business sustainability and JET
- Climate change and JET in municipalities
- Focus on energy poverty initiatives
- Socially just energy systems
- Policy direction -there is great tension often around ownership models and there is a need to understand that many different models can co-exist alongside each other
- Greater citizen involvement in decision making – greater citizen ‘energy literacy’ and ascertaining what direction youth, labour, etc want to see energy systems moving towards
For the Best Paper Award there will be awards for the following three (3) categories:
- Academic Category: Presenters/authors (all age groups) from tertiary academic institutions or professionals undertaking further studies at such institutions
- Emerging Professional Category: Non-academic category presenters/authors up to and including 30 years of age
- Experienced Professional Category: Non-academic category presenters/authors older than 30 years of age or subject matter specialists
AMEU CONVENTION 2022: REGISTRATION FEES
Engineers, Councillors and Ordinary Members: R5000
Affiliate Members: R5000
PIESA Members: R5000
Honorary / Retired Members: Free of Charge
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- To get member discount you must use the email address associated with your regular AMEU account.
- If you use a new email address a new account will be opened for you, unless you ask the secretariat to update your old account details.
- Member discount is only offered to paid-up members.
- You and the billing contact of your organisation will receive invoices a few minutes after you have registered.
- If you see a red notice on the screen about unpaid invoices please contact the secretariat on AMEUServices@vdw.co.za to resolve.
- Cancellation must be done in writing at least 7 working days prior to the convention or the full fee will apply for no-shows.
Sponsorship & Exhibitions
- Sponsorship and Exhibition stands are only available to AMEU Members
- Please click here for the list of Sponsorship items (items highlighted in yellow have been allocated)
- For any Sponsorship applications or queries please contact Thenjiwe Roda - Thenjiwe@vdw.co.za
- For any Exhibition applications please contact Jacqui Burn - firstname.lastname@example.org